In addition to her private practice, Dr. Weiss has significant training and clinical experience.
Etkin Lab, Stanford University and Palo Alto Veterans Administration
Clinical Care Supervisor, Senior Lab Manager, 10/10-1/12 Full time
- Established standard of excellence for screening, assessment, and clinical care of study participants for the lab and supervisees.
- Spearheaded multi-pronged recruitment drive that included online and broadcast ads, as well as collaboration with medical providers, schools, agencies, and organizations.
- Transformed manual-entry single-study recruitment file system into the first cross-study HIPAA-secure online-entry recruitment data system to be approved by both national Veterans Administration compliance officers and the Stanford IRB.
- Hire, train, and supervise a rapidly expan
- ding team to screen and assess subjects using comprehensive diagnostic and cognitive assessment batteries.
- Provide Prolonged Exposure to participants with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD.)
Staff Psychologist, Vericare, 3/12 – 8/12
- Provided psychotherapy and behavioral medicine to individuals in a residential home for medical conditions including dementia, chronic pain, and mental illness.
- Conducted psychodiagnostic and neurocognitive assessments and presented results to interdisciplinary team.
- Provided family and couples therapy.
San Francisco Veterans Administration Medical Clinic, 9/09 – 8/10
Clinical Psychology Post-Doctoral Fellowship in Psychosocial Rehabilitation
Supervisors: Michael Drexler, PhD; Jennifer Boyd, PhD; John McQuaid, PhD
- Provided individual psychotherapy to veterans with severe mental illness, PTSD, and Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI.).
- Helped three veterans with strong suicidal ideation and plans connect with their reasons for living and develop plans that successfully helped them choose life.
- Led and co-led evidence-based group psychotherapy for in-patient and intensive care outpatient units.. Therapy included Social Skills Training, ACT, Dual Recovery, Wellness and Recovery Action Plans, and Sensory Modulation.
- Conducted neuropsychological and psychological assessments.
- Helped integrate Psychosocial Rehabilitation and Recovery concepts into the broader VA community through program development activities and consultation.
- Trained and mentored staff and students in CBT and ACT.
Pathway Home, Residential Recovery Program for Veterans, 1/09 – 8/09
Therapist/Technology Consultant (Part-time Volunteer)
Supervisor: Kent Drescher, PhD
- Conducted neuropsychological assessments to evaluate PTSD and TBI using handheld instruments and collaborated with software developer to improve auto-generated reports.
- Co-led a trauma, resilience, and spirituality group using evidence-based techniques and principles with Dr. Drescher.
- Researched potential applications for online social media including Second Life and Facebook in post-discharge care.
Napa State Hospital, Napa, CA, 7/07 – 7/08
Clinical Psychology Intern
Supervisors: Rick Lesch, PhD; Morgan Kennedy, PhD; Tony Rabin, PhD; Yung-Hi France, PhD; Jack Dawson, PhD
- Provided year-long individual psychotherapy to individuals hospitalized in a forensic setting for severe mental illness.
- Conducted and wrote integrated assessments for 12 individuals: Psycho-diagnostic, forensic, and cognitive assessments included.
- Rotation 1: Provided services to individuals found Not Guilty by Reason of Insanity on open unit. Responsibilities included individual, group and milieu therapy. Worked closely with the multidisciplinary team.
- Rotation 2: Program Development and Service Delivery for hospital-wide group therapy (Mall). Responsibilities included designing and co-facilitating 5 groups (Understanding Family Patterns, Healing Trauma through Art Therapy, Self Esteem, DBT, and Celebrating Wellness), assisting Dr. Rabin in the launch of the Mall at NSH, and designing an evidence-based group treatment for hallucination management.
- Participated in intern and hospital-based seminars on psychological treatment, assessment, California Department of Mental Health Wellness and Recovery model, neurobiology, and forensic studies.
Community Health Awareness Council (CHAC), Mountain View, CA, 7/06 – 7/07, Practicum Student
Supervisor: Stewart Kiritz, PhD
- Provided individual psychotherapy in the outpatient clinic to adult clients.
- Provided individual art, play, and talk therapy to middle school students.
Stanford University School of Medicine, Department of Child Psychiatry, 8/05 – 7/06, Practicum Student
Supervisors: Hans Steiner, MD; Laura Delizonna, PhD
- Provided individual and family therapy for families with children diagnosed with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, Bipolar Disorder, and Oppositional Defiant Disorder.
Veteran’s Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System, Palo Alto, CA, 9/05 – 7/06, Practicum Student
Supervisors: Sunyoung Kim, PhD; Tom Roth, PhD
- Conducted assessments using SCID-I and provided treatment in an NIH study comparing biofeedback-based breathing therapies for Panic Disorder.
National Center for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Menlo Park and San Jose, CA, 9/04 – 8/05, Practicum Student
Supervisor: Kent Drescher, PhD
- San Jose, Outpatient Unit: Conducted PTSD intakes and Clinician-Administered PTSD Screen (CAPS). Provided individual therapy and co-led a CBT-based anger management group for veterans with PTSD.
- Menlo Park, Inpatient Unit: Conducted Structured Clinical Interviews for DSM-IV SCID-I, Clinician-Administered PTSD Screen (CAPS), and psychosocial assessments. Wrote reports about new patients. Discussed the findings at interdisciplinary team meetings. Participated in weekly Milieu therapy sessions and interdisciplinary team treatment planning meetings. Provided case management.
- Research: Analyzed data and prepared poster on coping and spirituality in veterans with PTSD.